Lesson Plan and Worksheet:
Writing Sentences with High Frequency Sight Words
- This is an individual or small group activity.
- Copies of the High-Frequency Sight Words List, or a similar
list of your choice, and paper and pencil are required.
- Recommended grade level is 2. Skills addressed include:
- writing complete sentences
- reading common sight words
- spelling common sight words
- Hand out copies of or display the High-Frequency Sight Words.
- The challenge is to try to write three sentences using as many words from the list as possible.
- Explain the scoring to help explain the goal.
- How to score the sentences written by each student:
After scoring have the students read their sentences aloud to the rest of the group.
- Win 1 point for each different word from the list used. Repeats of a word don’t earn extra points.
- Misspelled words don't earn points.
- Words that are not used in a complete sentence don’t count either.
- Set a time limit instead of limiting the number of sentences.
- Have the children rewrite any misspelled words or incomplete sentences before final scoring.
- For 10 extra points, write a sentence with NO words from the list.
©Courseware Solutions Inc.
Learning Resources for iPad: ipadThinker.com
Free Printable K-8 Worksheets: www.WorksheetsPlus.com